I suppose one has to develop a sort of rhythm to blogging, so here I am again - just not focused enough to write anything profound. ;-) The book I'm currently reading, Once Upon a Country, is an account of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict told by a Palestinian professor whose family have lived in Jerusalem for hundreds of years. His account, which I would describe as balanced and fair, is making me increasingly angry with the way Israel has treated these people whom they apparently feel are less than human. I'm reserving judgment until I've finished the book and read an Israeli account, but I must say that my feelings from years of following events in the Middle East, are generally in sympathy with the Palestinians. It will be interesting to see how I feel after my visit to Israel. One of the features which attracted me to this particualr tour was the inclusion of dialog with Palestinians at a kibbutz which they share with Israelis. Hopefully, that will give me a chance to witness the dynamic between the groups firsthand.
Being sick the past few days has afforded me the opportunity to let my mind relax and consider life from a more detached perspective. As I approach retirement, I'm obviously taking a hard look at my priorities, resources, goals, dreams - yes, I still have some! - and relationships. As well, I'm renewing my interest in questioning my philosophy - i.e., religion? - and how it affects my decisions at this point in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment